Bollywood’s Khan dodges limelight in jail appeal hearing

salman.jpg

Indian movie star Salman Khan managed to avoid the spotlight when he returned to court on Monday over his five-year jail sentence for killing endangered wildlife.

Khan, one of the world’s highest-paid actors, was convicted last month of shooting dead two rare antelopes known as blackbucks on a 1998 hunting trip. He spent two days behind bars before being granted bail.

The Bollywood icon was ordered to appear in court on Monday and an early-morning hearing was held in Jodhpur, in the western state of Rajasthan.

Khan arrived in a white SUV and slipped into court around 8:00 am (0230 GMT) surrounded by minders, catching Indian media and his army of fans off guard. Court sessions generally start much later in India.

The judge, Chandra Kumar Songara, quickly adjourned proceedings after Khan’s defense team requested more time to prepare their appeal.

Khan, who is not allowed to leave the country without permission but has been filming a new movie in India, returned directly to Jodhpur airport after the hearing.

“We will begin arguments on the appeal against the five-year sentence from July 17,” said defense counsel Mahesh Bora.

Prosecutors said they would oppose the appeal bid and were ready to present their case.

Four other actors were acquitted in last month’s verdict and Khan has repeatedly denied killing the creatures — accusing Rajasthan’s forest department of trying to frame him.

His lawyers claim the black bucks died of natural causes such as overeating, insisting there was no evidence they were shot.

Throughout the multiple cases, eyewitnesses have stated they saw Khan firing a gun.

The 52-year-old enjoys a cult-like status in star-obsessed India and is one of Bollywood’s biggest draws, despite a host of controversies.

Khan was in a vehicle in Mumbai in 2002 when it mounted the curb and killed a homeless man sleeping on the pavement.

He was found guilty of culpable homicide and sentenced to five years in prison, but the verdict was overturned by a higher court in 2015. His acquittal is being challenged in the Supreme Court.

Advertisements

OMG! Salman ‘The Da-bangg’ under threat

sallu

Netra Bikram Chand ‘Biplav’ of the CPN-Maoist, a splinter of CPN (Maoist Centre) last week had demanded cancellation of the show and called all the nationalist forces to unite and oppose against the even saying it amounts to ‘expansion of cultural intervention on Nepali soil’.

Bollywood Superstar Salman Khan’s ‘the Da-Bangg Tour to Nepal’, which was scheduled to take place in Kathmandu on March 10, has been called off citing threat from a section led by Netra Bikram Chand ‘Biplav’, according to the organizers.

Other Bollywood stars such as Sonakshi Sinha, Kriti Sanon, Prabhudheva, Daisy Shah, Meet Bros and Manish Paul were scheduled to join Salman at Tundikhel, Kathmandu.

The organizers Sohail Khan Entertainments and JA Events and the partner organizer from Nepal, ODC Entertainment on January 19 had jointly organized a press conference in Kathmandu to confirm Khan’s arrival.

However, Netra Bikram Chand ‘Biplav’ of the CPN-Maoist, a splinter of CPN (Maoist Centre) last week had demanded cancellation of the show and called all the nationalist forces to unite and oppose against the even saying it amounts to ‘expansion of cultural intervention on Nepali soil’.

Some top Nepalese artists and 110 other singers and dancers from Bollywood were also expected to be part of the show. An audience of 30,000 was expected to attend the show while the tickets were priced from Rs 3,000 to 30,000. The cost of the show was reported to mount Rs 50 million.

The tour, which kicked off last year, has already entertained several cities around the world, including Melbourne, Sydney, Auckland, London, and Birmingham.

The organizers in Kathmandu said: “The show is just postponed for further dates and going to reschedule it very soon.”

The CPN-Maoist also attacked the sponsors of the show, most of the liquor brands. “In a way, the programme is also promoting liquor which is not acceptable to us. We are against all kinds of globalization bids,” the statement said.

Adele in talks for record breaking Las Vegas deal

adele

Adele could become Las Vegas’s highest-paid resident after a top hotel has reportedly offered her $500,000 a show to perform on the strip.

The ‘Skyfall’ singer is apparently being courted by the Wynn Hotel who are keen to persuade her to sign a deal for a 12-month residency in Sin City.

If Adele, 29, accepts the offer she could be raking in $2.5 million a week. The deal would also include VIP meet-and-greet packages, where wealthy fans splash out more than £20,000 a ticket to come face-to-face with their favorite musicians as well as seeing them perform.

A source from the five star Wynn Hotel told The Sun: “The days of entertainers coming to retire at Vegas are a thing of the past.

“In the last few years, we have seen massive stars performing on the strip and every major hotel wants to say they have the biggest star as their resident. Caesars Palace had Mariah Carey, Planet Hollywood has Britney Spears, and we want Adele. Even at half a million bucks a show we are confident we would make a healthy return.”

The deal is now being finalised before it is presented to Adele’s representatives for consideration later this month.

Adele recently attended one of Celine Dion’s shows at Caesars Palace, wearing a hoodie with the ‘My Heart Will Go On’ singer’s face on to show her support.

She later tweeted: “Queen Celine! What a show, an absolute highlight of my life, thank you so much for the attention to your crowd and insane humor. Happy new year lady x (sic)”

Celine, 49, was the first musician to sign-up to a Vegas residency, earning $475,000 a show, and last year celebrated her 1,000th Vegas performance.

Britney is thought to have earned $375,000 per show and is considering a return to Vegas next year.

Sir Elton John’s residency at Caesars Palace reportedly rakes in $500,000 a night, and the ‘Rocket Man’ singer’s deal earns him an 88 per cent share of the takings.

Lady Gaga recently confirmed she will take part in a Las Vegas residency at the Park Theatre at Monte Carlo later this year.

Sir Elton John ‘to retire from touring’

elton

Sir Elton John is reportedly set to retire from touring.

The 70-year-old singer-songwriter – who has suffered from poor health in recent years – is poised to walk away from touring the globe after 50 years and one final world tour.

Sir Elton – who has sons Elijah, five, and Zachary, seven, via a surrogate – is set to make the announcement ”imminently”, according to the Daily Mirror newspaper.

The ‘Rocket Man’ hitmaker spent two nights in intensive care and 12 days in the hospital last year after he contracted a ”harmful and unusual” bacterial infection during his tour of South America.

Sir Elton was returning home to Britain following a performance in Santiago, Chile when he became violently ill.

Meanwhile, in 2013, he was forced to cancel a planned appearance at London’s Hyde Park because he needed to undergo emergency appendicitis surgery.

Sir Elton – who started his touring career in 1970 and has also held a residency at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas – subsequently admitted that he could have ”easily died” if he didn’t go under the knife.

He shared: ”I knew I was sick but I didn’t know I had such a dangerous thing inside of me until I had a scan, which was after nine shows, 24 flights and a summer ball.”

In March last year, Sir Elton revealed he planned to make a decision about his touring future in ”the next six months”.

The music icon admitted that he was keen to spend more time with his children.

The chart-topping star explained: ”There will be a decision made in the next six months, probably.

”I will want to stop touring – not playing but touring. Seventy isn’t 60, it’s not 50. I want to spend time with my boys.’

James Franco Out! Greta Gerwig In! Biggest Surprises and Snubs of 2018 Oscar Nominations

oscar

Oscar nominations always come with a bit of a surprise!

This year’s nominees for the 90th Annual Academy Awards were announced Tuesday morning and, as usual, left some fans either scratching their heads or unexpectedly jumping for joy.

Read on for the biggest surprises and snubs from the 2018 Academy Award nominations.

SNUB: Wonder Woman left out of Best Picture category

a man carrying a surfboard: Wonder Woman © Provided by TIME Inc. Wonder Woman

It’s the year of the woman — but the movie that has become a symbol for the movement failed to score a nomination. The long-awaited superhero movie wowed fans and critics alike as it dominated the summer box office and became one of the highest-grossing comic book movies of all time, squarely landing it in the list of possible nominees. But box office success doesn’t necessarily lead to awards recognition, and the Gal Gadot starrer was left out.

SURPRISE: The Post has a decent showing

Even though the timely retelling of Katharine Graham and her role in the Watergate scandal was rushed, the Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks movie weren’t hitting all that much this awards season. After getting plenty of recognition at the Golden Globes, The Post was completely snubbed by the Screen Actors Guild and the BAFTAs, leaving its Oscar contention in the balance. But it seems like Academy members still resonated with Steven Spielberg’s story as the movie was nominated in the Best Picture and Best Actress categories.

SNUB: The Post‘s Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks left out

But it wasn’t all great for The Post. Despite being movie industry legends, both Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks failed to score nominations in the Best Director and Best Actor categories. This marks Hanks’ second year being snubbed after the Academy looked the other way for his performance in Sully.

SURPRISE: Greta Gerwig lands a Best Director nomination

Yay Greta! After notably being snubbed at the Golden Globe Awards, the Lady Bird writer/director earned her first Oscar nomination in the Best Director category. Not bad for a debut performance. The director brings some diversity to the field after Natalie Portman bravely pointed out the lack of female nominees at the Golden Globes.

SNUB: I, Tonya left out of Best Picture

Count this as another blow for Tonya Harding. The fictionalized biopic recounting the infamous skater’s life before, during and after the “whack heard ’round the world” failed to make it into a tight race for Best Picture. Margot Robbie and Allison Janney scored individual nominations for their roles as Tonya Harding and her mother LaVona, respectively.

SURPRISE: Jordan Peel nabs Best Director nomination

Now we’re not in the sunken place. Get Out writer and director Jordan Peele snuck in on a crowded Best Director category after helming the buzziest movie of the year. The former Key & Peele star has become one of Hollywood’s biggest success stories after the movie grossed over $250 million on a $4.5 million budget.

SNUB: Tiffany Haddish left out of Best Supporting Actress

Looks like you can’t have your cake and eat it, too. Though Haddish was on hand to read the nominees for the 90th annual show, the actress was ultimately left out of the Supporting Actress category for Girl’s Trip despite a huge amount of fan and critics’ support.

SURPRISE: Christopher Plummer gets one for All the Money in the World

Plummer received an Oscar nomination Tuesday for the best supporting actor for his performance in Ridley Scott’s thriller — nearly two months after replacing Kevin Spacey due to numerous allegations of sexual misconduct against the actor. He was also Golden Globe-nominated for the film, in which he plays billionaire oil tycoon J. Paul Getty. Plummer, 87, re-shot Spacey’s scenes in November after the 58-year-old House of Cards actor was accused of making unwanted sexual advances toward young men.

SNUB: James Franco left out of Best Actor

In perhaps the first tangible consequence of the #MeToo movement on awards season, Franco failed to score a nomination for The Disaster Artist after facing accusations of inappropriate sexual behaviour following his Golden Globe win. He won a Critics Choice award and Golden Globe for his performance.

SNUB: Armie Hammer left out of Best Supporting Actor

Seemingly a lock-in for a nomination, Hammer was surprisingly left out of the Best Supporting Actor category for his work opposite nominee Timothée Chalamet in Call Me By Your Name. The actor had a rocky road to the Oscars, scoring a Golden Globe nomination but left out of the Screen Actor’s Guild. Still, it’s surprising to see the second half of a lovely starring duo get snubbed. Sorry, Armie!

The 90th Annual Academy Awards, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, air live Sunday, March 4 on ABC.

Dolores O’Riordan funeral: mourners pay tribute to Cranberries singer

singer

Hundreds of mourners gathered to pay tribute to the Cranberries singer Dolores O’Riordan on Tuesday as she was buried in her native Ballybricken, near the city of Limerick.

In the parish church where O’Riordan once sang in the local choir, Canon Liam McNamara said the number of people she had helped through her songs was “impossible to count” and that she rescued countless people from “the darkness of depression” with her music.

Pipers lead mourners following the funeral of The Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan at Saint Ailbe's Church, Ballybricken. © Getty Pipers lead mourners following the funeral of The Cranberries singer Dolores O’Riordan at Saint Ailbe’s Church, Ballybricken. Her talents were used “generously for the benefit of others”, McNamara said of the pop star, who was found dead at a London hotel on 15 January.

Inside a packed Saint Ailbe’s Catholic Church in Ballybricken, Co Limerick, a service began with a recording of Ave Maria, sung by O’Riordan and Luciano Pavarotti.

During his homily, McNamara recalled his first encounter with the singer.

Mourners sign a book of condolence at the funeral mass at Saint Ailbe’s Church. © PA Mourners sign a book of condolence at the funeral mass at Saint Ailbe’s Church. “My first meeting with her was in 1989. The memory is indelibly written on my mind.

There she is, sitting at the keyboard, playing and singing with the choir in this lovely church of Saint Ailbe… She possessed a very special singing voice – a talent worth its weight in gold. Intelligent girl that she was, she knew well that she should develop and use that talent.

She also knew the talents were given by almighty God to be used generously for the benefit of others.”

McNamara added: “No words are adequate to describe Dolores or to accurately state the influence for good she has been over the years.”

Eileen O'Riordan (centre) following the funeral of her daughter and The Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan at Saint Ailbe's Church, Ballybricken. © Getty Eileen O’Riordan (centre) following the funeral of her daughter and The Cranberries singer Dolores O’Riordan at Saint Ailbe’s Church, Ballybricken. Paying tribute to the singer, the Catholic archbishop of Cashel and Emly in south-west Ireland, Kieran O’Reilly, said that on hearing the news of her death “many hearts in Ireland and around the world [were] heavy with sadness”.

O’Reilly said that after meeting the late Pope John Paul II, O’Riordan told an interviewer that her faith was one of her greatest musical influences.

Mourners at the requiem mass for the 46-year-old singer included her mother, Eileen and her three children – Taylor, Molly and Dakota.

Band member Mike Hogan (second right) and his wife Siobhan arrive for the funeral of The Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan at Saint Ailbe's Church, Ballybricken © Getty Band member Mike Hogan (second right) and his wife Siobhan arrive for the funeral of The Cranberries singer Dolores O’Riordan at Saint Ailbe’s Church, Ballybricken Her sister, Angela, and brothers Terence, Brendan, Donal, Joseph and PJ also attended.

All the members of her band – Noel Hogan, Mike Hogan, Fergal Lawler – were also at the service.

At the end of the service, the Cranberries’ song When You’re Gone was played.

a man holding a gun: Irish singer Dolores O'Riordan of the Irish band The Cranberries performing on stage during the 23th edition of the Cognac Blues Passion festival in Cognac on July 7, 2016. The Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan died on Jan. 15, 2018 in London at the age of 46, a publicist statement said. Remembering Dolores O’Riordan (1971-2018) of The Cranberries

Among those who had come to Limerick over the past 24 hours to pay tribute to O’Riordan was Ireland’s president Michael D Higgins.

Speaking before the funeral, Higgins said: “It’s so profoundly sad that someone so young is taken from us, but it’s equally important also to pay tribute to her work and music.

 “It’s also to the incredible credit of all the who have appreciated the music and the songs and the performances and the band, that they have come out in such numbers to make their tribute.”

Among other Irish celebrities to pay tribute to O’Riordan was former Munster, Ireland and Lions rugby player Ronan O’Gara who said this would be a “tough day for the great people of a special city to me”.

O’Riordan was to be buried after the requiem mass in the local cemetery at Ballybricken at a private ceremony.

Adam Levine almost pooped pants during daughter’s birth

adam

Adam Levine almost popped his pants after overeating when his wife Behati Prinsloo was in labour with their daughter Dusty Rose.

The Maroon 5 frontman – who will welcome a second daughter into the world in the coming months – has revealed that after being advised by his ‘Voice US’ host Carson Daly to make sure he finds time to eat during his spouse’s pregnancy, he overindulged a little too much.

Speaking during his appearance on ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live!’ on Thursday (18.01.17), Adam said he was advised by his colleague: ”Remember to eat. A large percentage of new dads pass out because they forget to take care of themselves and don’t nourish their bodies with food and faint a lot of the time.

”What I discovered about myself is that I’m a nervous eater.”

Recalling the birth of 15-month-old Dusty, he said: ”So kind of went into labour throughout the day, and it was beautiful. I was eating a lot, though. We finally go to the hospital, I’ve put back an unbelievable amount of food.

”Like basically bursting at the seams, I was gonna s**t my pants.”

The ‘Sugar’ hitmaker thought it would be”brutal” having to leave the delivery room to relieve himself, and was ”doubled over in pain” during the birth.

However, he avoided the embarrassment by quietly asking someone to locate him a toilet once his baby girl was safely delivered.

Adam continued: ”Also, my wife is in labour and it’s the lamest thing to be when your wife is going to be having a baby and you’re like ‘I got to take a s**t.’ That’s not, in any way, a viable complaint. So you got to keep it inside, literally and figuratively. It was brutal

”I waited, doubled over in pain. Finally, the baby came it was beautiful and amazing.

”And the second coast was clear, I took one of the nurses aside and I was like, ‘Look you got to find me a bathroom.’ And there was one a foot from the bed.”