More than 38,000 forced out of homes by Mayon unrest
More than 38,000 have been forced to leave their homes due to the continued unrest of Mayon Volcano, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said on Friday.
In its latest report, the NDRRMC said that 9,656 families, or 38,357 people, had been affected in the 38 barangays in Albay province as of early Thursday morning.
Seismic monitoring has recorded 24 rockfall events and a volcanic earthquake as of the early Friday report.
Authorities continue to remain on high alert for the possible eruption of Mayon Volcano “within weeks or even days,” as Alert Level 3 remains in effect over the area.
Currently, the Miisi lava flow has advanced to approximately three kilometres from the summit crater, well within the Permanent Danger Zone,” the report read, referring to a 6-kilometre area around the volcano.
Mayon Volcano has been generating steam-driven eruptions since last Saturday. Ash fall was found in the Municipalities of Camalig, Guinobatan, Daraga and Liago City.
The province of Albay was placed under State of Calamity last Tuesday.